Saturday, November 10, 2012

P.A.W.S.

Today was a beautiful day.  And a great day!

 Annie thinks so too.

 Specially after she's done working and I take her service vest off.















Besides being a beautiful day, we are thrilled because Annie and I are now happy new clients of P.A.W.S, an organization that will take the edge off my last remaining concern about the high cost of living in this city.

We were referred by the SPCA, after Annie's expensive ear infection a couple of weeks ago.  I had looked into it when I first moved here, but was told since I was still able to walk my dog, I wouldn't qualify.  Plus it was a 2 year waiting list, so they weren't even taking applications.

During the intake interview, I told Tara that Annie charmed the pants off the SPCA staff, and that must be why they referred us... plus maybe they just wanted to get paid!  Tara said that usually when the SPCA refers somebody, it's because they see something special in not only the pet, but the owner too.  Awwwww.  Annie chose that moment to get up off the floor, walk over to me, lay her head on my knee, while looking sideways over at Tara.  It was hysterical, cause I know she was showing off, but if Tara took it as her saying "Yes, my mom IS special, so pleaasseee take her on as a client" - who am I to say any different?  :-) 

As a client of P.A.W.S., a local veterinarian clinicx, Pets Unlimited, provides yearly exams, including vaccinations, de-worming, fecal test, and parasite checks at no cost.  The shots alone is a savings of about 150.00 per animal.  Two pets are allowed, so I signed up Barf too.  I get a 25% to 50% discount at certain vets for other vet care, including the SPCA.  This is a HUGE help!

We also get to go to Pet Express (where I go to for Annie's dog food) for their bathing days, where they donate their bathing stations for free and volunteers will shampoo and dry your pets for free.  There is also a bathing station at the P.A.W.S. office, that I can use myself, and they donate the shampoo and towels.  This is also a huge help to me, as I will not have to bend over to bath her anymore.  Bending over usually results in me falling on my head.

There are nail clipping clinics, a pet food bank every Saturday, and a "Ask A Vet" event once a month, where you can have your pet looked at by a vet and advised to whether they need to be taken to a clinic for real.  They will check for fleas, do anal glands, check lumps and bumps, skin issues, ear mites, etc.  Annie was spose to have a follow-up visit for her ear infection, and I'd rather not because it's a minimum of an office call ($75ish).  I can see that her ear is not red at all anymore, and it's clean, so I'm hoping to put it off till next month's payday.  Instead, I can have it checked out at the Ask A Vet events.

There is also Dog Walking services, emergency foster care (should I have to go to the hospital), In-home Cat Care, where they come empty cat boxes cause you can't bend over... so far, I'm able to do this on my knees, and get up with the help of near-by furniture.  There is also transportation to vet appointments, pet food delivery if needed, and if a cat tree should be donated, and you snag it, they can deliver.  Grooming is available if your pet has mats in their fur.  We will also get a Christmas stocking in December!

Am sooo excited.  Am planning on setting up a $10 donation per month to them each month, and I am going to try to volunteer my nail clipping abilities, participate in fund-raising events, office work, publicity booths at special events, and if someone needs dog walking or cat care within a couple blocks of my place or Delores Park, I think I'm going to try to do that, since I have to take Annie out anyways, no matter how sick I may be.

I'm just really excited, both for all the services, and also for being able to volunteer, cause I've been wanting to, but the SFSPCA requires a signed contract promising a certain number of hours, as does Animal Control, but worse than that, I would have SUCH a hard time seeing abused and lost animals all the time.  P.A.W.S. goal is solely to help disabled and seniors keep their animals healthy and happy, and I can deal with that.

~


0 comment here!:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More